Cornerstone Faculty Fellow
Ph.D. University of Chicago
- Political sociology
- Morality & society
- Social theory
- History of sociology
- SOCI 230 Classical Sociological Theory
- SOCI 313 Military, War and Society
- SOCI 327 Morality & Society
- SOCI 611 Classical Sociological Theory (Graduate Level)
- SOCI 615 Contemporary Sociological Theory (Graduate Level)
- Burk, James, ed. 2013. How 9/11 Changed Our Ways of War. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Burk, James and Evelyn Espinosa. 2012. “Race Relations within the US Military.” Annual Review of Sociology 38: 401-422.
- Burk, James. 2009. “Responsible Obedience and the Discretion to Do What Is Wrong.” In American Civil-Military Relations: Realities and Challenges in the New Era, ed. Suzanne Nielsen and Don Snider. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press: 149-171.
- Burk, James. 2007. “The Changing Moral Contract for Military Service.” In The Long War: A New History of U.S. National Security Policy Since World War II, ed. Andrew J. Bacevich. New York: Columbia University Press: 409-455.
- Burk, James. 2002. “Theories of Democratic Civil-Military Relations.” Armed Forces & Society 29 (October): 7-29
Author or editor of four books with other articles published in Armed Force & Society, Social Forces, Journal of Military Ethics, Peace Review, and elsewhere.