- Health/ Health Disparities
- Rural Sociology
- Sociology of Punishment
- Urban Sociology
- Eason, John M. 2017. Big House on the Prairie: Rise of the Rural Ghetto and Prison Proliferation, University of Chicago press. Chicago, IL.
- Eason, John M. 2016. “Reclaiming the Prison Boom: Considering Prison Proliferation in the Era of Mass Imprisonment”. Sociology Compass 10 (4): 261-271.
- Burton, Linda M., Daniel T. Lichter, Regina S. Baker, and John M. Eason. 2013. “Inequality, Family Process, and Health in the ‘New’ Rural America.” American Behavioral Scientist 57(8): 1128-1151.
- Eason, John M. 2012. “Extending the Hyperghetto: Toward a Theory of Race, Rural Disadvantage, and Punishment”, Journal of Poverty 16(3): 274-295.
- Eason, John M.. 2010. “Mapping Prison Proliferation: Region, Rurality, Race, and Disadvantage in Prison Placement”, article in Social Science Research 39 (2010), 1015-1028.