What is Sociology?
Sociology is the scientific study of human behavior. It studies the larger forces outside the individual that affect people’s personal experience and lives. It also studies those larger forces themselves, such as families, organizations, social classes, ethnic groups, nations and the world system.
The sociology program provides its majors with the opportunity to focus their education toward a particular area. It is our hope that students make their degrees tailored to their own goals and interests, and that they become better prepared for careers and graduate/professional programs after completing their Bachelor’s degrees. The pursuit of a major area of focus will not cause you to take any additional coursework beyond the 120 hours required to graduate. Areas of Focus include:
- Community Studies
- Criminology and Criminal Justice
- Global Sociology
- Health and Society
- Legal Studies
- Organizational Management and Marketing
- Race and Ethnicity
- Social Issues and Services
The Texas A&M Sociology Department offers extraordinary opportunities in undergraduate education. The department has been recognized by the American Sociological Association as a national leader in quality undergraduate sociological training.
Our department offers the following distinctive features:
- Individual counseling and advising to assist students in developing course plans tailored to their goals and interests
- An excellent Internship Program with opportunities for valuable career relevant experiences and chances to develop practical research skills
- Opportunities for students to work individually with professors doing research, getting individual training and tutoring that most universities limit to graduate students
Our highly innovative pedagogy allows us to teach interesting courses in unusual ways while still preparing people for top graduate schools and good jobs after leaving Texas A&M. Our department combines the personalized attention and commitment to undergraduate education of a small teaching college, with the prestigious scholars and cutting edge intellectual material generally found in nationally known Research I institutions. The result is a best of both worlds, that offers tremendous opportunities for Texas A&M students.